Saturday 28 December 2019

Mikeespinho's Year-End of 2019

Hi folks!

It’s me again with a review of my music year of 2019. It has been a long journey from the first #1 “Sorry for writing all the songs about you” by Swedish singer Clara Mae who had her breakthrough with this song to the latest #1 by Selena Gomez. I really love her recent smash “Lose you to love me”, but I believe that this song will miss #1 soon. In total there have been 18 songs which topped my chart. A year ago it had been 22 songs. Only four of these songs hit #1 for a single week. These are

• “Nada” (“Nothing”) by Shakira
• “I fell in love with the devil” by Avril Lavigne
• “All the time” by Zara Larsson
• “Señorita” by Shawn Mendes & Camila Cabello

Several of my #1’s never reached the Austrian or the international charts which I’m sure isn’t new for everyone who is looking constantly for my chart updates. Only one song peaked at #2 which is “Castles” by Freya Ridings who is a newcomer for me. I’m not sure if there is a chance for her reaching the Top 10 in future but maybe she is reaching the chart with her recent single “Love is fire”.

Back in 2018 I had a low number of debuts with only charting 604 songs. This year I charted more songs and I also topped 2017 with a total of charting 671 songs. 557 acts had a chart hit from all over the world (41 countries) which means that I charted 79 acts more than in 2018. As always I present you my national ranking.

National ranking 2019:

1. (1.) USA
2. (2.) England
3. (3.) Germany
4. (-) Canada
5. (5.) Sweden
6. (6.) Austria

What should I say? There is nothing new under the moon. So the USA are winning once more with a respect distance to England. Germany only got the 3rd place because of the fact that it only reached the same number of acts than England in the last counting week. Retourning at #4 is Canada. Canada replaced Australia in this list which now finished at #8.

As last year I will ad to the stats my srobble year. It is always interesting to see which are my favourite songs and how many time I played a particular song. Songs from October to December got less playing time because of the fact that I hadn’t as much time to listen to music as I whished I have.

This leads me to the part where I share my favourite artists with you. Back in 2018 Kate Voegele won. Unfortunately there hadn’t been a new single by her until December so she isn’t found within my Top 10 in 2019. The same happened back in 2017 when Anouk dropped out of this list although she won in 2016. Here are my Top 10 artists from my last.fm page for 2019:

1. (20.) Avril Lavinge with 736 plays
2. (24.) LANY with 695 plays
3. (5.) Taylor Swift with 665 plays
4. (7.) Pink with 543 plays
5. (3.) Emma with 501 plays
6. (48.) Cœur de Pirate with 393 plays
7. (14.) Annalisa with 393 plays
8. (43.) Lennon Stella with 388 plays
9. (8.) Anouk with 347 plays
10. (2.) Kelly Clarkson with 313 plays

So let’s have a closer look to my Top 10 artists of 2019 based on my charts.

TYLYArtistInfo
10.(---) Lennon StellaI first noticed her in the TV Series Nashville. Out of this show she had some minor hits. In 2019 she breakthrough with her EP "Love, me". Her recent single "Kissing other people" is her first Top 10 hit and this brings her for the first time into the list of my Top 10 artists of the year.
9.(---)Jeanette BiedermannI don't really now how this could have happened. New at #9 is German singer Jeanette Biedermann. She only had two chartings songs in 2019 and both reached the Top 10 including the long-time #1 "Deine Geschichten" ("Your stories") which dropped out last week. I'm charting since 2011 and since that no artist with only two charting songs entered the Top 10 ranking. I will give her album "DNA" another try and maybe she will return with some more songs from this album in 2020.
8.(---)Shawn MendesI just wondered how Jeanette Biedermann could have ended within this ranking. And her I'm wondering again. Canadian singer Shawn Mendes also had only two chart hits in 2019. "If I can't have you" and "Señorita" peaked at #1. So is this a sign that one out of these artists will reach the year-end #1 with one of their songs? I won't say too much, but you should expect both artists at least within the Top 10 of my top ranked songs.
7.(---)Cœur de PirateCanada rules this year. In at #7 is Shawn Mendes and at #6 I'm presenting you Cœur de Pirate. Since years I'm a regular listener to her french songs. And is no secret that her song "Printemps" ("Spring") from her self-titled debut album is my daily wake-up song since I first listened to this album. Although her English-album and her third album "Roses" disappointed me she returned very strong with her last album "En cas de tempête, ce jardin sera ferme" ("In case of storm, this garden will be closed"). I hope she will have another Top 10 hit very soon.
6.(---)AnnalisaFor several years my favourite singer from Italy had been Emma. This year it isn't different, but Annalisa can be found for the first time within my Top 10 artists. Several hit songs from her album "Bye bye" made the way free for her entering this part of my review. Her latest single is also a sign that her upcoming album could also do well for me.
5.(4.)EmmaAnd her is the one and only Emma Marrone. This year she returned strong with her song "Io sono bella" ("I am beautiful"). This song is the first single from her new album which I'm gonna buy soon. I absolutely love songs and her voice. So I hope that there will be more years to come with music from her.
4.(6.)Taylor SwiftLong gone are the days when Taylor Swift has been a country star. She made very clear that she will never return, but I'm still into her pop songs. This year she charted with several songs from her album "Lover" which I have to point out is weaker than her previous albums. Although she had a Top 10 hit with "You need to calm down" her other songs failed to enter my Top 10. For the moment I'm not sure if she will return in this list next year, but there are several songs from "Lover" I will chart and maybe this album will produce some more hits.
3.(9.)PinkOver the years Pink had several hits for me. Her latest album "Beautiful trauma" didn't change this fact and so she reached #1 with two more songs. "I am here" and "Can we pretend" topped my chart for a total of four weeks which is good, but in 2019 it is definitely not long enough for reaching the year-end #1 spot, but I expect a lot from her in this countdown.
2.(re)Avril LavigneSince her debut in the early 2000's I've bought every album by her. So I can say that she is a core artist for me. With that written I can tell you that I'm absolutely amazed that she appeared only one time before within my Top 10 artists since I decided to start charting again. Back in 2011 she reached #7 and now 8 years later she climbed up all the way to #2. This is definitely astonishing.
1.(---)LANYFor the first time a band is my favourite act of the year. LANY's album "Malibu nights" is from my point of view one of the best albums which has been released in the 2010's. With their 2018 hit "Thru these tears" the reached #1 for the first time and in 2019 they continued their success. At the moment the title track "Malibu nights" is on its way to another Top 3 hit for the band, but there is one thing I regret. It is that I've not bought a concert ticket for their only Austrian concert in 2019.

No comments: