Monday 23 December 2013

Year-End Review 2013 - Artists

It's time to recap the year in music or better my year in music. In 2013 I charted 741 songs which are 24 songs more than in the year before. These songs came from all over the world and include artists from 55 nations, one nation more than in 2012. Let's start with the Top 6 nations in my charting year 2013:

1. (1.) USA
2. (3.) Germany
3. (2.) England
4. (---) Schweden
5. (4.) Austria
6. (5.) Canada

Back in 2012 South Korea was in the Top 6 at #6. This year South Korea missed the Top 6 by one spot. My home country dropped one spot, but it's definitely another good year for Austrian music. Maybe not here in this forum, but I think several songs could have been hits outside my chart or Austria. So let's have a close look at the artists which were big on my chart. These are my Top 10 artists from 2013:

TYLYArtistInfo
10.(---) Christina AguileraSix chart hits and one as a featured act brings her the first year-end position. Four out of these seven songs reached the Top 10 with “Let there be love” as her biggest hit in 2013. At the moment two of those seven songs are on the way up in my chart. Both songs “We remain” and “Say something” could be Top 10 hits by next year.
9.(5.) AnoukTwo years ago my favourite artist Anouk was in my Top 3 of the artists of the year. Last year she dropped down two spots and this year she ended at #9. Not even her participation in the Eurovision Song Contest 2013 helped her to avoid this drop. Unfortunately this last album “Sad singalong songs” is weaker than her previous work so it it explains why she had only one #1 hit out of this album this year.
8.(---) Ben MontagueThis is Ben Montague’s year on my chart. Unfortunately I found out about him very late so his debut album “Overcome” charted until this year. His 2012 "Tales of flying and falling" followed late 2013. Up-to-date this is best album on my chart including one #1 hit. “Love like stars” reached #1 some weeks ago and stayed there for two weeks. Totally he had 12 chart hits this year and 6 of these songs entered my Top 20.
7.(3.) EmmaLast year Italian singer Emma did a little bit better than this year. I’ve to say a little bit, because at the end of this year her latest album “Schiena” produced three Top 10 hits and two #1 hits. Her biggest hit this year is “Dimentico tutto” which spent three weeks at the top. The last edition of this year’s chart showed that her third single out of this album “L’amore non mi basta” is spending it’s 2nd week at the Top.
6.(---) Taylor SwiftHere is the third debut on my top artists of 2013. Taylor Swift charted with 11 songs on my chart and had one #1 hit this year. “I knew you were trouble.” was her 2nd #1 hit following last year’s smash hit “We are never ever getting back together”. Her album “Red” had mixed success on my chart. Five songs from this album reached my Top 10 and four of the songs I’ve charted from this album so far missed the Top 60. Two of these four songs are relatively new on my chart so there is a chance that these songs could climb up the chart.
5.(---) Jillette JohnsonThis is the fourth debut and there is one more to come. Jillette Johnson debuted in 2013 with her monster hit “Torpedo” on my chart. She released this year her debut album “Water in a whale” which is for me comparable with Vanessa Carlton’s debut album “Be not nobody” which I really enjoy until today. Until now she had six chart hits out of her debut album and four of these songs entered the Top 10. Her latest chart hit is “Last bus out” which is on its way into the Top 10.
4.(1.) Kelly ClarksonLast year Kelly Clarkson sat enthroned. This year she dropped down three spots and can be found outside of the Top 3. But it was another successful year for her. Five songs reached the Top 10. One missed the Top 10 by one spots. “Hello” and “People like us” peaked at #1 so it was a good year, but three artists did a little bit better.
3.(---) PinkWith the release of her “The truth about love” album Pink reached new peaks on my chart. As Kelly Clarkson she had two #1 hits this year. Her biggest hit up-to-date is “True love” with Lily Rose Cooper better known as Lily Allen. Beside her #1 hits two more songs reached the Top 10. So her actual hit “Walk of shame” which peaked this week at #6. Two more songs are at the moment on their way up the chart. “Beam me up” reached the Top 20 this week and “Slut like you” peaked at #26 this week. And there are several songs to come from this album so that she should be in my year-end 2014 as well.
2.(4.) Matt CardleSure I prefer female artists. But Matt Cardle is on his run to be my #1 artist of the year. At the moment the British X-Factor winner is my favourite male artist. Back in 2012 he had the #1 hit of the year with “Starlight” and this year? He placed 12 songs on my chart. This year his most successful song had been “It’s only love” which you should find in this year’s Top 10. Maybe he gets the 2nd year-end #1 which would be the first time in history that this happens. Three more songs beside “It’s only love” peaked within the Top 10 and four more songs reached the Top 30 out of three different albums. While the last songs of his debut album “Letters” finished their chart run one song from his third album “Porcelain” reached my chart too. “Loving you” a duet with Melanie C. was the first single which had been released in Austria!
1.(7.) Alanis MorissetteAnd here she is. Alanis Morissette is my artist of the year in 2013. She also had two #1 hits this year. Her first had been “Receive” which spent eight consecutive weeks at the top back in 2012, but returned for two more weeks in 2013. And then there is “Spiral” which reached #1 in August this year. If you compare her with the other artists you can find out that she had “only” nine chart hits this year, but six of these songs found their way into the Top 10. “Numb” and “Havoc” are performing a little bit weak, but have the chance to do better in the next weeks.

Before I start with the review I've to point out two interesting facts. For the first time a #1 song missed the year-end Top 100. It's Emma's latest smash hit "L'amore non mi basta". Then there is the fact that the whole year-end Top 3 could have been the year-end #1 in all of the years before, but only one could it be this year! Let's stay tuned.

No comments: