Tuesday 23 December 2014

Year-End Review 2014 - Artists

I’m following the same procedure as every year, but before I start with the review I want to thank the recently deceased artists Joe Cocker and Udo Jürgens for their music that accompanied me over the years. We lost two great musicians and our thoughts and prayers are with their families.

Another year passed and it’s time to open the record book. Although I think it has been another year with great music I’ve to say that fewer songs reached my chart than in the previous years. Back in 2013 I’ve charted 741 songs. In 2014 I missed the 700 mark to that I charted a total of 696 songs. These are 6.1 % songs fewer than in the year before. Despite to this fact it has been a little bit easier to reach the Top 100. Last year a song required 706.6 points to enter the Top 100. This year 4.7 % fewer points were required. Where are the songs I charted from? In 2012 and 2013 the most acts were from the USA. This fact didn’t change. With a large distance the USA won again the national ranking.

National ranking 2014:

1. (1.) USA
2. (3.) England
3. (2.) Germany
4. (4.) Sweden
5. (6.) Canada
6. (5.) Austria

Although there were several hit songs from my home country in this year’s Top 100 with another one in my year-end Top 10 it seems that I charted fewer acts than in the previous years. At the moment only two songs in my Top 100 are from my home country and in a few weeks it could be the first time that I will not chart a song from Austria. Before I whine how “bad” Austrian music is at the moment, I begin with this year’s top acts of my chart.

TYLYArtistInfo
10.(---) Ariana GrandeShe is the new superstar at the moment. With songs "Problem", "Break free" or "One last time" she reached my Top 10 this year. Therefore she reached for the first time my Top 10 of the artists of the year. Only her international smash hit "Bang bang" (peak #82) with Jessie J and Nicki Minaj flopped a little bit and dropped out of my chart after 3 weeks. Her biggest hit this year is "Problem" which reached #1 and stayed for 3 weeks.
9.(2.)Matt CardleSince three years Matt Cardle can be found on this list. This year has been his weakest year although "Hit my heart" reached #1 by December 20th. Unfortunately this has been the last week which counted for the 2014 ranking. He profited that he charted with 8 hits from two albums. His biggest hits this year beside "Hit my heart" had been the Top 10 hits "Empire" and "When you were my girl".
8.(---)Goo Goo DollsThe Goo Goo Dolls are the first band which reached my favourite artist list since Swiss Band 77 Bombay Street and The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart back in 2011, but they aren't the highest ranked band this year. With nine songs from their album "Magnetic" they reached my Top 100. In the end it had been a little bit more quantity that brought them #8 in this ranking. Their biggest hit this year had been "When the world breaks your heart" which reached my Top 10 in April. "Caught in the storm" (their actual single) and "Slow it down" just missed the Top 10, but reached my year-end Top 100.
7.(8.)Ben MontagueDo you remember Ben Montague? Back in 2013 he had a #1 with "Love like stars". Including this song he placed seven  songs on my chart from his album "Tales of flying and falling". His biggest hit this year has been "Sweet Amelia" (peak at #6). Three more songs reached the Top 20, but only his duet with Lucie Silvas "Liberty road" (peak at #12) almost reached the Top 10. He is another profiteur of charting his entire album.
6.(3.)PinkShe hadn't a good year as last year, but she had 11 chart hits this year. In the end it is a kind of wonder that she reached #6 without having a Top 10 hit this year which is a novelty. Her biggest "Beam me up" missed the Top 10 by one spot. "Beam me up" was only one out of three of these songs which reached my Top 20. The others had been "Timebomb" (which I'm still charting) and "Slut like you". "Where did the beat go" just missed the Top 100 by three spots.
5.(---)TagträumerAnd here is the 2nd band in this year's artists countdown. I've written that music in Austria has been weak this year, but Tagträumer showed that there is a lot of potential in Austria. With their debut single "Sinn" out of the casting show "Herz von Österreich" they went straight to #1 where they could stay for five weeks in two runs. Their 2nd single "Schwerelos" just missed the Top 10 while their 3rd single "Mein Herz (für immer)" debuted within the Top 10 and stayed at #1 for one week. Unfortunately they are still working on their debut album which I hope will be great.
4.(6.)Taylor SwiftLast year she gave her debut within my top artists. "I knew you were trouble" had been her biggest hit in 2013. This year she charted with 10 songs. "Starlight", "I almost do" and from her latest album "Shake it off" entered the Top 10. Her latest single "Blank space" is on its way into the Top 10 and could continue her success in 2015. Her biggest hit in 2014 for me is "Shake it off" which became her 3rd #1.
3.(5.)Jillette JohnsonLast year Jillette Johnson captured my heart by storm. "Torpedo" debuted low, but reached #1 soon. In the year-end she could take #1 with this song. This year she continued her success with two more #1 songs from her impressive debut album "Water in a whale". "Last bus out" and "Peter Pan" topped the chart for a total of four weeks and are in the run for this year's #1 song. Including the long running "Torpedo" she charted with 10 songs.
2.(9.)AnoukMy favourite artist climbed back to #2 after a very strong 2014. She placed six songs into my chart and four of them reached the Top 20. I better have to say that three of these songs debuted within the Top 5. Her highest debut had been "You & I" which shot straight in at #1 in March. "You & I" hold this position for four weeks. After that she replaced herself at the top with "I won't play that game" a live version which debuted in the same week as "You & I" at #4. "I won't play that game" finally topped the chart for another six weeks. At the end of September she had her 3rd Top 10 debut with "Places to go". "Places to go" had been the first official single from her new album "Paradise and back again". All of her none album singles in the last two years including "You & I" are also on this album. "Places to go" continued the success of the previous Top 10 entries and topped the chart for two weeks. It will be interesting to find out if she could reach the year-end #1 in 2014. Back in 2012 "Little did I know" finished at #2 and therefore it would be her first year-end #1.
1.(7.)Emma
By Mid-October Emma fell out of the Top 10 for the first time after 51 weeks. Since this time it has been clear the she is my artist of the year. If you count "Amami's" four weeks which are counting for this year-end review she had 11 chart hits in 2014. Seven of these songs reached the Top 20 and six the Top 10 with "Resta ancora un po' " on its way into the Top 10. Her biggest hit is "L'amore non mi basta" which reached #1 in December 2013 and stayed for a massive nine weeks until February. "La mia città" topped the chart in June for one week and  "Ma che vita fai" in August for two weeks. Several of the mentioned songs are in the run for the year-end #1, but I won't tell you at the moment if she is reaching this spot.

No comments: