Thursday 3 January 2019

Year-End Review 2018 - 80 - 71

80 – 71



international
note
80 #18
#9
#18
#49
#4
#12
#3
#3
#2

Anna-Marie – 2002

Points: 847.9
Peak: #18
Weeks: 18
Album: Speak your mind
Airplay: #85

Several artists released songs about the past. Anne-Marie also released such a song. Catch phrase in most of these songs is “Hit me baby” from Britney Spears 1990s hit. The lyrics should remember these days while the sound is totally 2010s. I like this song and it is the highest charting one for me with this theme.
79
no success

Brynn Elliott – Might not like me

Points: 850.5
Peak: #22
Weeks: 19
Album: -
Airplay: #68

This song about a self-confident woman and a man who couldn’t handle this fact really shot straight into my heart. I like the lyrics and the refrain is remarkable. I hope there will be more by her in the future.
78 #7

Emma – L’isola

Points: 852.8
Peak: #13
Weeks: 18
Album: Essere qui
Airplay: #50

For the 2nd time Emma can be found in this list. This time it is “L’isola” (“The island”) which reached a peak within my Top 20. Not bad, but she can do it better. And she proved it this year with two #1’s which can be found later in this list.
77
no success

Maggie Rogers – Give a little

Points: 864.1
Peak: #20
Weeks: 18
Album: Heard in a past life
Airplay: #76

Maggie Rogers had minor hits in the alternative scene in the USA with “Alaska” and “Dog days”. Both song failed to get my attention, but “Give a little” is a cute song which did very well for me. I’m not sure about her other songs, but I’ll give her 3rd album (release date 18th January) – her first after two independent releases – a chance.
76 #3
#1
#2
#31
#2
#4
#1
#1
#2
/
Rudimental feat. Jess Glynne, Macklemore & Dan Caplen – These days

Points: 888.6
Peak: #12
Weeks: 18
Album: Toast to our differences
Airplay: #61

Somehow interesting that none of these artists every reached my Top 10. Since Jess Glynne’s debut on a Clean Bandit track she is a regular guest on my chart, but this one is by far her best charting song (in the UK this one had been her 6th #1 which made her the most successful female singer in history).
75
no success

Cold War Kids – Luck down

Points: 925.7
Peak: #16
Weeks: 21
Album: LA devine
Airplay: #63

A year ago Cold War Kids had #1 hits from LA Devine. I really like her album “LA Devine” and the album cut “Luck down”. It is a nice song, but far away from her #1 smash hits.
74 #92

Gavin James – Hearts on fire

Points: 927.4
Peak: #18
Weeks: 21
Album: -
Airplay: #59

I started charting “Hearts on fire” very late. I knew this song before March, but then it rose very fast into my Top 30 where it peaked at #18. At the moment Irish singer Gavin James is getting airplay with his 2018 hit “Always” in Austria, Germany and Switzerland. Maybe this one will be his first hit here.
73 #1

Wanda – Columbo

Points: 928.5
Peak: #5
Weeks: 23
Album: Niente
Airplay: #96

Autumn 2017 Austrian alternative rock band Wanda released their single “Columbo”. It took me until November 2017 before I started charting this smash hit. By this time this song had spent a single week at #1 in Austria and it had been the bands biggest hit so far. On my chart they reached my Top 10 by the middle of December and peaked at #5 in January. With this peak they equalised their hit single “Bussi baby” (“Kiss baby”) which also peaked at #5 back in 2015.
72 #12
#16
#11
#80
#8
#19
#4
#2
#4

Rita Ora – Let you love me

Points: 929.7
Peak: #3
Weeks: 12 (still charting)
Album: Phoenix
Airplay: #147

Recently British singer Rita Ora climbed up my chart with “Let you love me”. She had several hits on my chart, but this one is now her only Top 3 hit for me. I love this song and as she had hits in the past I don’t doubt that she will reach this part of my chart again.
71 #10
#37
#25

Helene Fischer – Achterbahn

Points: 930.6
Peak: #7
Weeks: 22
Album: Helene Fischer
Airplay: #104

Haven’t I pointed out that “Schlager” isn’t my genre? I’m sure I did it when I reviewed last year her hit “Nur mit dir”. This year she returns with her biggest hit “Achterbahn”. This song went all the way into my Top 10 and is now her first Top 10 hit for me. By the way she is one of the most successful female singer worldwide as the New York Times pointed out although no one outside Austria, Germany and Switzerland knows her!

No comments: