Tuesday 1 January 2019

Year-End Review 2018 - 90 - 81

90 – 81



international
note
90
no success

Norma Jean Martine – Only in my mind

Points: 793.7
Peak: #14
Weeks: 19
Album: Only in my mind
Airplay: #74

At #90 you can find Norma Jean Martine for the first time in this part of my review. The title track of her debut album “Only in my mind” did well on my chart with a peak in my Top 20. Generally “Only in my mind” is quite a good album.
89
no success

Kelly Clarkson – American woman

Points: 799.8
Peak: #16
Weeks: 16
Album: -
Airplay: #102

Do I like cover song or not? That question doesn’t matter here. Back in the 1970s The Guess Who had a big hit with “American woman”. In 2018 Kelly Clarkson covered this song and it found its way into my chart. As I’m not really known for charting cover songs, but this one did quite well.

88
no success

Norma Jean Martine – No more alone

Points: 804.7
Peak: #13
Weeks: 19
Album: Only in my mind
Airplay: #70

Two spots before Norma Jean Martine could be found for the first time within my year-end Top 100. Now she returns with another track from her debut album. “No more alone” did only a little bit better with peaking at #13 and so it outperformed this title track on this list too.
87
no success


Norma Jean Martine – Hang my hat

Points: 810.0
Peak: #19
Weeks: 17
Album: Only in my mind
Airplay: #83

The Norma Jean Martine triple is perfect with “Hang my hat”. Let’s look into the details. This song charted only 17 weeks, when her other songs charted 19 weeks. It peaked at #19 when the other songs did better. Also the airplay says that I listened more to her other songs. Does this all matter? No! This song had the better chart run and so “Hang my hat” outperformed her previous hits.
86 #68
/
Niall Horan feat. Maren Morris – Seeing blind

Points: 811.6
Peak: #17
Weeks: 17
Album: Flicker
Airplay: #65

Country singer Maren Morris did it again. Last year she had a big duet hit with Thomas Rhett. This year she was featured on a Niall Horan track. “Seeing blind” only charted in Ireland, but for me it was one of the best duets in 2018.
85
no success

Kayef – Allein

Points: 812.6
Peak: #17
Weeks: 16
Album: Modus
Airplay: #92

Kayef is a 24-year old German rapper. As rap music isn’t my genre I’ve forgotten that he had three single “hits” back in 2014. As this song was suggested to me via youtube I was really surprised what I got to hear. “Allein” (“Alone”) is a perfect breakup song with limited time rapping. This song did very well and brought him his first appearance in my year-end Top 100 with his first charting song.
84 #66
Alice Merton – Lash out

Points: 823.2
Peak: #14
Weeks: 17
Album: -
Airplay: #108

Back to back the next artist from Germany can be found. In 2016 Alice Merton rocked the charts with her debut “No roots”. Now she returned with “Lash out”. In my eyes this is a good song, but not as good as her debut single.
83 #19
#8
#20
#18
#4
#4
#8
#13
#9
#4

Selena Gomez – Back to you

Points: 823.9
Peak: #17
Weeks: 17
Album: Soundtrack – 13 reasons why: Season 2
Airplay: #95

After releasing three non-album singles in 2017 with minor success on my chart she came back with “Back to you”. This is also no single from an upcoming new album, but it had been part of the soundtrack to the Netflix series “13 reasons why”. I did better than her previous singles, but failed to reach my Top 10.
82 #70
#88
#12
#20
#28
#33
#45
#51
#31

Taylor Swift – Delicate

Points: 828.6
Peak: #18
Weeks: 19
Album: Reputation
Airplay: #84

Back in 2017 Taylor Swift started her chart run with songs from “Reputation”. In at #82 is the latest single from this album. “Delicate” did well, but Taylor Swift has other standards. Every other artist would be proud reaching the Top 20, but her it is only a sign for a good, but not outstanding track.
81 #94
#66
#47

Niall Horan – On the loose

Points: 842.8
Peak: #19
Weeks: 19
Album: Flicker
Airplay: #73

“Seeing blind” had been his first appearance with in the Top 100. Now Niall Horan returns with 4th single from his debut solo album “Flicker”. I’m not really a fan of him, but this song is quite good. You see the difference? “Delicate” had nearly the same stats, but here I’m sure that this is quite a good song. I hope that he will release more songs as “On the loose” in the future.

No comments: