Sunday 10 February 2019

Year-End Review 2018 - 40 - 31

40 – 31



international
note
40
no success

Catherine McGrath – Wild

Points: 1272.6
Peak: #6
Weeks: 20 (still charting)
Album: Talk of this town
Airplay: #17

Early in 2018 this country pop song by Northern Ireland singer Catherine McGrath was released. It took this song until August before I started charting and the debut at #73 didn’t show how much I should fell in love with this song. One and a half month after its debut it reached my Top 10 and eventually peaked at #6 in October. This is definitely one of the best country songs for me in 2018.
39
no success

Kelly Clarkson – Whole lotta woman
Points: 1282.0
Peak: #5
Weeks: 20
Album: Meaning of life
Airplay: #27

Another song by Kelly Clarkson can be found at #39. It is the album cut “Whole lotta woman”. It is one of her best songs on the “Meaning of life” album, but there are still two more songs out of this album which did better in 2018.
38
no success

Ohrenpost – Halt nicht fest

Points: 1284.5
Peak: #1 (2)
Weeks: 15 (still charting)
Album: So nah EP
Airplay: #100

This one really came out of nowhere. I’ve not heard from this German pop duo before, but to be honest this band only exists since 2016 and they have no chart hit in their pocket until today. “Halt nicht fest” (“Don’t hold on”) is their first hit on my chart. In its 6th week on chart “Halt nicht fest” reached #1 and stayed for two weeks. I hope they release some nice material in 2019.
37
no success

Cold War Kids – Ordinary idols

Points: 1298.5
Peak: #4
Weeks: 24
Album: L.A. Devine
Airplay: #25

This had become the bands 5th single from their album “L.A. Devine”. Although “Ordinary idols” never reached my Top 3 or even #1 as the previous singles “Can we hang on” or “So tied up” this song is definitely one of the best songs out of the last two albums by this band.
36
no success
/

Aslove feat. Norma Jean Martine – So high

Points: 1302.9
Peak: #7
Weeks: 23
Album: -
Airplay: #24

Here we are with a 2nd song with a Norma Jean Martine feature. French DJ Aslove did well with this song and song he got his first appearance on my chart. For Norma Jean Martine this one is her 2nd best charting hit in 2018 on my list.
35 #90
#6
#3
#8

Sigala feat. Paloma Faith – Lullaby

Points: 1308.1
Peak: #7
Weeks: 22
Album: Brighter days
Airplay: #34

Neither Sigala nor Paloma Faith are charting on with constancy. So for both “Lullaby” became their first Top 10 smash on my chart. Interesting fact is that Sigala charted with all of his songs for 48 weeks and Paloma Faith for 40 weeks. 22 of these weeks are going on the account of “Lullaby”.
34
no success

Paul McCartney – Fuh you

Points: 1309.7
Peak: #1 (1)
Weeks: 15 (still charting)
Album: Egypt station
Airplay: #103

Over the last years I’ve not heard a lot from Paul McCartney. His latest hit had been “FourFiveSeconds” back in 2015 which failed to enter my chart which all of his other singles since 2011 also did. So it was a surprise that his single “Fuh you” became one of the big hits in 2018 for me. “Fuh you” reached #1 in its 8th week on chart back in October, but only stayed for a single week. Nevertheless I love this song.
33
no success

Jennifer Rostock – Haarspray

Points: 1340.0
Peak: #2
Weeks: 26
Album: Worst of Jennifer Rostock
Airplay: #43

Only once Jennifer Rostock reached #1 on my chart. It had been “Ich kann nicht mehr” (“I can’t anymore“) back in 2012. Five years later a single from their album “Worst of Jennifer Rostock“ started its chart run at #61. In January “Haarspray” (“Hair spray”) reached my Top 10 and by the end of the month it peaked at #2. So nearly six year after the bands biggest hit on my chart the started another big chart run, but unfortunately this song never reached #1.
32 #69
#30
#36
#64
#37
#84
#21
#93

Avril Lavigne – Head above water

Points: 1352.8
Peak: #1 (4)
Weeks: 13 (still charting)
Album: Head above water
Airplay: #121

I always loved songs by Avril Lavigne although not every single song reached my #1. In fact she only had one #1 hit out of 25 chart appearances since 2011. Back in October 2013 “Rock N Roll” reached #1 for a single week. It lasted until 2018, this time in November, when Avril Lavigne once more reached the top spot of my chart. “Head above water” is a deep personal and emotional song by her and as her 2nd single is already a big hit for me I’m really excited to listen to her new album by the mid of February.
31
#31
#60

Jessica Mauboy – We got love

Points: 1369.9
Peak: #5
Weeks: 22
Album: -
Airplay: #31

The Eurovision Song Contest in 2018 was hosted in Lisbon. Australia also participated and was represented by Jessica Mauboy. Right from the started I knew that “We got love” will be big for me. And so it came that “We got love” reached my Top 10 with a peak at #5 and so this song is Jessica Mauboy’s biggest hit on my chart.

No comments: