Saturday 14 January 2017

Year-End Review 2016 - 20 - 11

20 – 11


international

note

20
no success

Anouk – Not a lovesongPoints: 1632.1
Peak: #1 (3 weeks)
Weeks: 14 (still charting)
Album: Queen for a day

This song opens with the lyrics “This is not a love song, cause my love is blind. It’s just another sad song in this life of mine”. This “sad song” has no melancholic sound which it could have. “Not a lovesong” is catchy and very melodious. If you hear only the sound of this song you’d never guess that the lyrics are dark. This song was the 2nd of three Anouk #1’s in a row and topped my chart for three weeks in November and December.
19
no success

Tagtraeumer – Nichts

Points: 1661.1
Peak: #1 (2 weeks; 1 in 2015, 1 in 2016)
Weeks: 29
Album: Alles OK

A chart record in two years prevented “Nichts” (“Nothing”) to reach my year-end Top 10 in 2016. Last year “Nichts” peaked at #133 on my year-end of 2015, but it was clear that song will reach such a good spot in 2016 because of the fact that “Nichts” climbed up to #1 in the last week of 2015. In 2016 “Nichts” was in my Top 10 for 10 weeks and so this song is their highest charting song in this review.
18
no success

Anouk – If I knew

Points: 1817.6
Peak: #1 (8 weeks)
Weeks: 14 (still charting)
Album: Queen for a day

Every year there is a song that is underrepresented in my year-end review. Last year it had been Adele’s “Hello” which only reached #34 in 2015, but in 2016 it did much better. This year it is a song by my favourite artist Anouk. For astonishing eight weeks her sad song “If I knew” topped my chart which is probably the saddest song ever peaking at #1. “If I knew” is about the situation that you met a person for the last time in life and what you’d have done when you knew it. This song is definitely one of her best songs released and it is such a shame that this song hasn’t been released as a regular single.
17
no success

Cam – Hungover on heartache

Points: 1833.4
Peak: #3
Weeks: 27
Album: Untamed

On my country chart “Hungover on heartache” peaked for five weeks at the top. On my regular Top 100 this song reached my Top 3 in July. In total “Hungover on heartache” stayed in my Top 10 for 11 weeks. Cam has several remarkable tracks on her “Untamed” album, but this one my favourite. There is nothing I don’t like about this song. Only one song which never reached #1 did better than this song.
16
no success

Kate Voegele – Must be summertime

Points: 1854.4
Peak: #2
Weeks: 26
Album: Songs of summer

Since several years Kate Voegele has a Top 10 hit after one other. Since her latest single “Free & wild” reached my Top 10 she now has 14 songs which entered my Top 10. Her biggest hit for me in 2016 has been “Must be summertime” which was first officially released on Amazon’s playlist “Songs for summer”. “Must be summertime” is no “Carousel” which peaked at #6 in my year-end of 2016, but is quite a good song. After five weeks in reached my Top 10 and stayed there for eleven weeks, but songs by Adele and Anouk managed to hold this song of my #1.
15 #104
#56

JoJo feat. Wiz Khalifa – F*ck apologies

Points: 1900.2
Peak: #1 (2 weeks)
Weeks: 22 (still charting)
Album: Mad love.

And here is the first of 15 #’s in a row. It is “F*ck apologies” by JoJo feat. Wiz Khalifa. Since the early 2000’s JoJo is hunting for success. On my chart she had several minor hits. Three of her songs reached my Top 10 and this one was a later #1 song. “F*ck apologies” had a great start with a debut at #2. After four weeks this song finally reached #1 and peaked there for two weeks in September.
14 #43
#64

Carrie Underwood – Church bells

Points: 1984.5
Peak: #1 (1 week)
Weeks: 28
Album: Storyteller

Here it is: The highest charting country song of 2016. It is “Church bells” by Carrie Underwood. For her this song was her 2nd #1 song on my chart following “Good girl” back in 2012. I love this song and the story behind the lyrics. It is absolutely amazing how an act and a genre could do well for me which I’m not really related too. “Church bells” reached #1 in June.
13 #46
#9

Christina Stürmer – Seite an Seite

Points: 2014.4
Peak: #1 (1 week)
Weeks: 27
Album: Seite an Seite

Nearly every year Christina Stürmer can place a song in my Top 10. With this song she now has 2 #1’s on my chart. “Seite an Seite” (“Side by side”) is a very emotional song and did very well for me in May and June when once more a school class passed their final exams. This song stayed 13 weeks in my Top 10.
12 #2
Miriam Bryant – Black car

Points: 2055.1
Peak: #1 (1 week)
Weeks: 24 (still charting)
Album: Evergreen

On my chart there was a little bit a trend of “Summer” in a song title. On the international level several songs were about cars. First there had been two covers of the Tracy Chapman classic “Fast car”. Believe it or not in Austria this song never charted and in Germany it peaked at #81. The Jonas Blue cover did better with a peak at #3 in Austria, but back to my #12. It is a song about a “Black car” by Swedish singer Miriam Bryant. Her biggest hit until “Black car” had been “Finders keepers” which peaked at #2 in 2012. Four years later “Black car” reached #1 for a single week. “Black car” is a perfect summer jam for cruising with a car.
11
no success

Leslie Clio – Changes

Points: 2111.4
Peak: #1 (1 week)
Weeks: 29
Album: Eureka

“Changes” is the last song before I start with my year-end Top 10. Exactly the same words I wrote last year. This year once more a song by Leslie Clio is knocking at the door to my year-end Top 10. Last year it had been “All the other fools”. Fun fact is that “Changes” collected 0.4 points more than “All the other fools” for the year-end peak at #11. And for a 2nd time in a row a song by Leslie Clio missed my Top 10 with more than 2100 points. “Changes” reached #1 in June.

No comments: