Friday 6 January 2017

Year-End Review 2016 - 50 - 41

50 – 41


international

note

50 #26
#28
#47
#13
#14
#8
#15
#66
#38
#39

Alessia Cara – Scars to your beautiful

Points: 1039.7
Peak: #13
Weeks: 20
Album: Know-It-All

For a 2nd time in her chart history she scratched at the door to my Top 10. “Scars to your beautiful” has a similar theme as Christina Aguilera’s “Beautiful” (2002) or TLC’s “Unpretty” (1999) which both did well for me (I’m getting old. ;) ). Alessia Cara’s song debuted in July and reached its peak in September.
49 #34
#44
#47
#57
#27
#48

Birdy – Keeping your head up

Points: 1041.82
Peak: #9
Weeks: 19
Album: Beautiful lies

Two years ago Birdy had a #1 hit with “Light me up”. In 2016 she returned with her 3rd album “Beautiful lies”. First I was undecided about “Keeping your head up”, but it grows fast. By the end of March this song reached my Top 10 where it stayed for two weeks.
48 #39
#32
#18
#39
#14
#33
#28
#35
#23
#24

Selena Gomez – Kill em with kindness

Points: 1051.3
Peak: #6
Weeks: 19
Album: Revival

In my last post I mentioned that “Me & the rhythm” was in an “fight” against another Selena Gomez song. It has been “Kill em with kindness”. I enjoyed listening to this song and it was no surprise when this song peaked near my Top 5. Although it had a slow start it is among her best songs from “Revival”.
47 #43
#53
#49
#84
#42
#30
#15
#46
#43
#32
#15

Tove Lo – Cool girl

Points: 1060.9
Peak: #8
Weeks: 17 (still charting)
Album: Lady Wood

I hadn’t finished charting her “Queen of the clouds” album when she released in September the 1st single from her new album “Lady Wood”. At this time I wasn’t sure if I should chart this song, because I wasn’t sure about the song itself and about the timing. Soon I was able to clear my concerns and I started charting “Cool girl”. From October to November this song was in my Top 10 and now it is another Top 50 year-end hit for her.
46
no success

Anouk – Dirty girl

Points: 1094.8
Peak: #8
Weeks: 20
Album: Queen for a day

“Dirty girl” was officially the 1st single from “Queen for a day”. Her 2015 #1 hit “New day” was later put on this album too, but when it reached #1 it has been a single from her “Greatest hits” album. “Dirty girl” is no bad song from this album, but in my eyes it is the weakest song on this album. So far it is the only song from this album which not peaked at #1.
45 #1
#1
#3
#9
#1
/
Imany – Don’t be so shy (Filatov & Karas remix)

Points: 1096.0
Peak: #13
Weeks: 21
Album: The wrong kind of war

A lot of EDM songs characterize the charts in Europe in 2016. One of these outstanding tracks you have found earlier on this list with Kungs and their “This girl”. One song which did a little bit better in Austria had been from French singer Imany. Russian DJ’s Filatov & Karas remixed her song “Don’t be so shy” and since June you can’t escape it. On my chart it debuted in July. Very fast this song climbed into the Top 20, but there it stuck. Due to its long activity “Don’t be so shy” reached #45 in this ranking.
44
no success

MisterWives – No need for dreaming

Points: 1103.3
Peak: #5
Weeks: 19
Album: Our own house

“No need for dreaming” is my favourite song by MisterWives. In January I started to chart this song. It took “No need for dreaming” nine weeks to climb into the Top 10 where it stayed in March. By 12th March it reached its peak at #5. Although MisterWives had no #1 from their album I like it really much and I hope their upcoming album will do as good as this one.
43
no success

Korbee – Hey child

Points: 1112.9
Peak: #11
Weeks: 18
Album: -

More indie pop by Korbee can be found at #43. In August I discovered this song and it shot straight into my Top 20. A debut at #18 is not bad and I really thought that this song could reach my Top 10. When “Hey child” peaked at #11 it was close, but it peaked there. This youth song with its lyrics “Stay wild and never get old” is really cool to listen and should have gotten more attention.
42 #54
#87

James Bay – Best fake smile

Points: 1114.7
Peak: #8
Weeks: 19
Album: Chaos and the calm

2014/15 James Bay started his carrier with his hits “Let it go” and “Hold back the river”. “Hold back the river” was a big hit in Austria, but both mentioned songs failed to impress me. It lasted until he released “Best fake smile” until I charted a song by him. With the first listened to it I knew that this is a song I like. A great hook and a good refrain later it reached my Top 10 where “Best fake smile” peaked at #8. Maybe there are more songs in the kind of this one in the future.
41
no success

LOLO – The boys of summer

Points: 1115.7
Peak: #6
Weeks: 20
Album: Songs for summer

LOLO started her carrier under her birth name Lauren Pritchard. In 2013 she adopted the stage name LOLO. On the amazon playlist she sung a cover of the classic “The boys of summer”. This interpretation impressed me and it climbed all the way into my Top 10 where it peaked at #6. I’m not charting cover songs very often and so it is definitely a good sign to find this song in such a good spot.

No comments: