Friday 13 January 2017

Year-End Review 2016 - 30 - 21

30 – 21


international

note

30 #7
Taeyeon – Why

Points: 1373.0
Peak: #6
Weeks: 22
Album: Why EP

Korean Singer Taeyeaon released two singles from her 2nd EP in 2016. While “Starlight” never made it to my chart her other song was one of my biggest hits in 2016 and in the end it is the highest ranked K-Pop song in this year-end review. EDM can’t only be found in Europe and so this musical style is influencing K-Pop too. “Why” is described as a tropical-house inspired song and I absolutely love this song. For me it is among the greatest K-Pop songs I’ve charted and so Taeyeon’s song deserves to be the highest ranked K-Pop song.
29
no success

Kelly Clarkson – War paint

Points: 1373.5
Peak: #7
Weeks: 23
Album: Piece by piece

Last year “Someone” and her Top 10 year-end smash “Heartbeat song” mixed my chart up. This year Kelly Clarkson has another year-end Top 30 hit. “War paint” is another strong song from “Piece by piece”. And I only can repeat that this album is better than I first thought. With 23 weeks on the chart the long activity helped to bring this song in this part of the review.
28
no success

Cassadee Pope – Summer

Points: 1394.5
Peak: #5
Weeks: 22
Album: Summer EP

Do you remember “I wish I could break your heart”? It has been the first charting song by Cassadee Pop as solo singer back in 2014. Then it reached #29 on my year-end list. Now we move forward to 2016. During summer she released her “Summer EP” with her single “Summer”. While “I wish I could break your heart” peaked at #4 “Summer” peaked one spot less, but due to its long activity it reached more points in general. And so “Summer” did a little bit better in my year-end of 2016 with a peak at #28.
27 #27
Aura Dione – Love somebody

Points: 1405.4
Peak: #4
Weeks: 23
Album: -

Since years Aura Dione is accompanying me with her music. Back in 2009 it had been “I will love you Monday (365 days)” or in 2011 with her hit “Geronimo”. In 2016 she returned to her stage name Aura and released her new single “Love somebody”. I first charted this song in July, but I’ve to point out that I first listened to this song some weeks before. Back in these days I found this song not so good to chart it. However this song found its way to my heart after a 2nd and 3rd listen. After 23 weeks on my chart and a peak at #4 it reached #25 in my year-end chart of 2016.
26
no success

Peter Bjorn & John – What you talking about?

Points: 1425.9
Peak: #4
Weeks: 20
Album: Breakin’ point

Let’s have another look into the driving mirror. Back in 2011 a band from Sweden reached #1 with “Second chance”. It had been their one and only hit on my chart until April 2016. Nearly five years later Peter Bjorn & John got a Top 20 debut and later they reached the Top 10. “What you talking about” is an energetic song with a catchy refrain. Sadly it only did well on my chart, but should have been big everywhere.
25
no success


Selena Gomez – Sober

Points: 1534.7
Peak: #4
Weeks: 18 (still charting)
Album: Revival

The next song in line broke a record for consecutive weeks at #4. For 10 weeks “Sober” by Selena Gomez peaked at this spot. Although I’m not drinking any alcohol I like this song and I personally know that the reactions when some people are drunk and when they aren’t can be very different. “Sober” is one of the best songs of this album and only Anouk hold this song off to reach my Top 3 at least.
24
no success

Anouk – Be my baby

Points: 1538.4
Peak: #1 (2 weeks)
Weeks: 14 (still charting)
Album: Queen for a day

This is the first of five Anouk songs in my personal Top 25. “Be my baby” was the 3rd #1 by her in a row and removed “Not a lovesong” also by her from the top spot in December. I love the whole album and this song too. “Be my baby” is another love song on this album which pointed out that there are problems with the other person, but it is hard for the other one to “see just the good times and not the bads”.
23
no success

Anouk – Last goodbye

Points: 1554.6
Peak: #2
Weeks: 24
Album: Paradise and back again

At the end of December 2015 I began to chart “Last goodbye”. This song climbed fast into my Top 10 and by the beginning of March it reached #2. It is hard to believe in the retrospective of 2016 that this song not peaked at #1. The alternative act Transviolet had their last week at the top with their smash “New bohemia” and so “Last goodbye” is the only hit by Anouk in my Top 25 without reaching #1.
22
no success

Emma – Facciamola più semplice

Points: 1593.1
Peak: #4
Weeks: 25
Album: Adesso

At #22 you can find the highest ranked song by Emma in this review. “Facciamola più semplice” (“Make it easier”) was a big hit for me in August and September when it reached my Top 10 where it peaked at #4. In a weaker album this song is an absolute highlight which remembers me why I’m a fan of Emma’s music.
21 #1
#1
#2
#1
#1
#6
#3
#2
#1
#1
/
Sia feat. Sean Paul – Cheap thrills

Points: 1604.2
Peak: #3
Weeks: 22
Album: This is acting

Australian singer Sia is a big star since years. On my chart she is but one artist among many. There hasn’t been a significant hit by her on my chart until 2016. When she and Sean Paul another underrepresented artist on my chart released “Cheap thrills”. I knew very fast that this song will be big for me. This song stayed in my Top 10 for nine weeks in April and May.

No comments: