Thursday 4 January 2018

Year-End Review 2017 - 50 - 41

50 – 41



international
note
50
no success

Selena Gomez – Nobody

Points: 1013.3
Peak: #9
Weeks: 18
Album: Revival

The Top 50 is opened with an album track by Selena Gomez who had two #3 year-end hits in the past two years. “Nobody” is her highest ranked song in this review which peaked in the Top 10 in August.
49
no success

Cold War Kids – Restless

Points: 1013.4
Peak: #9
Weeks: 17
Album: LA Devine

“Restless” debuted in July on #46. Interesting fact is that their later #1 “So tied up” debuted one spot behind this song. During its chart run “Restless” although a very good song was always in the shadow of “So tied up”. “Restless” stayed in my Top 10 for two weeks and peaked at #9.
48 #5
#6
#7
#53
#16
#2
#3
#2
#1
#1

Ed Sheeran – Galway girl

Points: 1033.2
Peak: #4
Weeks: 19
Album: ÷

First I thought that “Perfect” will be bigger hit for Ed Sheeran. In the end I was wrong. The infectious sound of “Galway girl” helped this song to reach my Top 5 and to peak at #4. “Galway girl” is definitely one of the best songs by him.
47
no success


Luke Sital-Singh – We don’t belong

Points: 1046.6
Peak: #7
Weeks: 16 (still charting)
Album: The fire inside

Last year someone pointed out that there are hardly male singers on my list. This year is different. Ed Sheeran is followed by the next male singer. British singer-songwriter Luke Sital-Singh returns with the strong song “We don’t belong”. Although peaking lower than “Galway girl” it had a stronger chart run so its peak is a little bit better.
46 #97
#80

Adele – River Lea

Points: 1061.2
Peak: #6
Weeks: 20
Album: 25

One of the last songs I’ve charted from Adele’s brilliant album “25” has been “River Lea”. It started its chart run in December 2016 and peaked early in 2017 within the Top 5. It hadn’t been Adele’s only Top 10 hit in 2017. One other song reached #1, but more later.
45 #57
Tagtraeumer & Chrissi Klug – Unendlich gleich

Points: 1064.1
Peak: #5
Weeks: 19
Album: Unendlich eins

Here is another song by Austrian band Tagtraeumer. For this song they teamed up with singer Chrissi Klug who had been part of Luttenberger Klug who had some hits from 2005 to 2010. After I saw Tagtraeumer live this song was pushed into my Top 10 where it peaked at #5.
44
no success

Jillian Jacqueline – Hate me

Points: 1067.4
Peak: #7
Weeks: 18
Album: Side A EP

More country pop can be found at #44. “Hate me” is an interesting breakup anthem from young singer Jillian Jacqueline. I fell in love with this song when I first heard the chorus lines “Come on and hate me; Tell me you regret you ever met me; Make sure it hurts right as I’m leaving”. For me this song is one of the most underrated country songs in 2017. Only one song of this genre prevented “Hate me” to be my favourite country song of 2017.
43 #12
#9
#3

Adel Tawil – Ist da jemand

Points: 1076.3
Peak: #7
Weeks: 17
Album: So schön anders

Adel Tawil had some hits in the past, but none of his songs ever reached my Top 10 since 2011. He spent six weeks with “Ist da jemand” (“Is somebody there”) in my Top 10 and four of these weeks it peaked at #7.
42 #47
#26
#41
#4
#7
#3
#9
#7
#3
#12

Taylor Swift – …Ready for it?

Points: 1084.5
Peak: #3
Weeks: 14 (still charting)
Album: Reputation

Since “We are never ever getting back together” the release of the first single from the new album is “a little bit” controversial. “…Ready for it?” is the 2nd official single from “Reputation” and despite of the fact that it peaked at #3 you can say that I’ve been ready for this song.
41
no success

Tinashe – Flame

Points: 1137.4
Peak: #5
Weeks: 19
Album: -

Haven’t I written in this review that R&B isn’t the kind of music I’m normally listening? That’s true, but there are always exceptions. At #41 you can find another one of these exceptions. “Flame” by Tinashe is absolutely infectious, but whatever the reason is why this track never reached the charts I don’t know.

No comments: