Wednesday 6 January 2016

Year-End Review 2015 - 60 - 51

60 – 51




international

note
60
no success

Kompass Nord – Nacktbaden

Points: 956.3
Peak: #7
Weeks: 18
Album: Horizont

In at #60 is a newcomer band from Austria. Kompass Nord are walking on the footprints of Tagtraeumer and their debut single “Nacktbaden” (“Nude bathing”) did very well for me. This song has clever lyrics, a cool beat and not to forget the refrain. I like this song and the sing-along refrain, but in general their album is weak.
59
no success

Night Terrors of 1927 feat. Tegan and Sara – When you were mine

Points: 969.8
Peak: #8
Weeks: 18
Album: Everything’s coming up roses

The US-duo Night Terrors of 1927 attract attention with their band's name first. Their first single had been “When you were mine”. Soon this wonderful ballad with Tegan and Sara reached my Top 10 where it peaked at #8. Until today it is their only chart hit.
58
no success

Tove Lo – Not on drugs

Points: 976.7
Peak: #5
Weeks: 14 (still charting)
Album: Queen of the clouds

Tove Lo had her breakout year in 2015. One of several songs I charted by her is the promotional single “Not on drugs”. This song is the first of three appearances in the Top 100 and the one which reached a spot in my personal Top 5. It outperformed songs like “Habits”. It is a decent track by her and should’ve gained more attention.
57
no success

Raylee – Wish for you

Points: 1002.7
Peak: #9
Weeks: 19
Album: -

Raylee released several singles, but the only song I charted from her so far is “Wish for you”. I know it is a typical teen pop song and I’m no teen any more, but I like this break up song with some kind of darker lyrics. “Wish for you” reached a spot in my Top 10 by March and peaked at #9. Maybe she’ll release a song like this in 2016.
56
no success

Madeline Juno – Do it again

Points: 1004.2
Peak: #10
Weeks: 17
Album: The Unknown

Here is the next promotional single by Madeline Juno. This time it as a song about someone who wouldn’t let the partner go away. Although the theme of the song isn’t very happy the sound of the song itself isn’t reflecting the theme. In my eyes this contradiction is working as well as in the Leslie Clio song “Demage done” where the sound is happier than in the Madeline Juno song. “Do it again” is the final appearance by her in this countdown.
55
no success

Molly Sandén – Phoenix

Points: 1009.6
Peak: #7
Weeks: 17
Album: Like no one’s watching EP

After a relatively soft song by Madeline Juno now a song to a dance beat. It is Molly Sandén’s “Phoenix”. “Phoenix” charted at the same time as “Wish for you” charted and it also easily reached my Top 10. This song is not a happy song too, but as you know from the past I like songs with a darker touch.
54 #9
#6
#12
#1
#1
#1
#1
#4

Tayler Swift – Blank space

Points: 1011.3
Peak: #5
Weeks: 22
Album: 1989

“Blank space” is the most successful international song in this part of the review. For me “Blank space” only reached #5. I’m in a trend with this decision. Outside North America this beautiful song with an absolutely fantastic video wasn't as successful as in her core market. In a retrospective view I regret it a little bit that this song never reached my #1 or even the Top 3.
53
no success

Dyrkis - FreiPoints: 1015.0
Peak: #8
Weeks: 18
Album: Ich bin Dykris EP

If you search for young and fresh music from Austria you definitely must have Dykris on your radar. With “Frei” (“Free”) she has released her first minor hit. This song was also featured in the youtube show “Austrozone” where I first was introduced to her. “Frei” is a chill out song which should have done better in the official charts, because this is the kind of music that is generating chart hits at the moment. I’m sure that we will hear more from her in the future.
52
no sucess

Katéa – That ain’t love

Points: 1015.2
Peak: #8
Weeks: 17
Album: -

Music from Finland is much more than Satin Circus. It is also Katéa. With her bombastic song what love not is she shot straight into my heart and this song has written hit all over it. But what must I notice when I write this review she had no success. That’s not right, but I can’t overwrite this fact. Hopefully she will release another single in 2016.
51 #64
#11
#26
#20
#9
#65

Demi Lovato – Cool for the summer

Points: 1020.6
Peak: #9
Weeks: 18
Album: Confident

Demi Lovoto is a singer who is shuttling between hit or miss. The first time I listened to “Cool for the summer” I wasn’t apt to chart this song. As I saw this song climbing up the chart I gave it another chance. The rest is history. By the end of August “Cool for the summer” peaked at #8.

No comments: